Back The Bid
Lancashire 2025 is about the whole of Lancashire coming together as one county to champion a new vision, a new identity and make a new culture for a sustainable future.
Lancashire 2025 will be for everyone no matter what age, gender, race, sexuality, religion, or education. We will ensure people can access and engage with what we have to offer, regardless of financial or geographical restraints. Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our vision for Lancashire 2025.
Why Lancashire, Why Now?
Bidding for UK City of Culture 2025 is part of a long-term strategic plan for culture in Lancashire. The timing of 2025 is right – allowing us time to develop ambitious plans for the county and giving us the platform to showcase our offer nationally and internationally.
At a time when politics and pandemics are dividing communities – our visionary, collaborative approach to UK City of Culture 2025 brings together:
- Lancashire County Council, Lancashire Enterprise Partnership, UCLan, Marketing Lancashire, Digital Lancashire, 12 district councils and 2 unitary authorities
- The arts, education, health, environment, science and technology, tourism, private, voluntary, community and faith sectors
- Citizens, visitors, workers, students, communities, villages, towns and cities
And because Lancashire deserves better:
- Arts Council funding is significantly lower in Lancashire than in comparable counties and cities
- There is an inequality in terms of quantity and scale of major arts organisations in Lancashire
- People outside Lancashire do not see us as a county rich in arts and culture, but we know we have already impacted the world stage and will continue to do so in the future.
- Lancashire 2025 will build stronger national and international connections and identity – making sure everyone remembers our past and knows we have an exciting cultural future.
- We will use Lancashire 2025 to showcase and champion culture and creative activity across all artforms, all cultures and all places – and use it as a catalyst to significantly increase, improve and diversify the provision of culture across the county in future years.
We will use Lancashire 2025 to:
- Attract investment
- Create jobs
- Increase pride for residents
- Reduce cultural and economic inequalities
- Increase creativity
- Improve health and wellbeing for all